The Vagus nerve has been gathering lots of attention lately because so much has been learned about it and its importance to our overall health is being uncovered!
Its the longest of the cranial nerves, and is named so because it "wanders" like a vagabond. It sends out fibres from your brainstem to your visceral organs, not working inside itself at all.
Here's a brief list of all the good things its been learned that it does for our good health and good living!:
1. Reduces inflammation, in all areas of the body: on a cellular level!
2. It initiates the body's relaxation response: makes us all zen, yum
3. Its the translator from the brain sending messages to the digestion
4. It helps you breathe: healthy breathing is basis for emotional and physical wellbeing
5. It helps retain memories ie., fighting Alzeheimer's potential
6. It improves cardio function by controlling heart rate
The power this nerve has to maintain balance health and wellbeing in our daily lives is astonishing, and it has opened up a whole new field of medicine called "bioelectronics"...as the interest is focused on the results of gently pulsed and electrical stimulation of the vagus nerve to encourage our bodies to heal themselves completely naturally, and for the long term!
Acupuncture has long had a similar gentle effect on the body, creating a gentle stimulation to the nervous system to act more efficiently in its daily activities, keeping the body well and disease free, and healing itself more efficiently when challenged.
An exciting time to see truly integrated medicine platforms arise, and ultimately treat all people with less drugs and less side effects. Another piece of evidence showing the human body is a genius machine!